So here’s a method I’m willing to bet most of you have never used to prepare an egg. It’s called Egg in the Clouds, and that name carries more meaning than just referencing the obvious visual similarities between this and actual clouds. The fluffy meringue also has an incredibly airy texture – one might go so far as to call it cloud-like. Just be sure you have a nice, powerful, electric mixer to form the meringue, otherwise you’re going to have one sore arm when this is all over.
Recipe adapted from Reddit
Active Prep Time: About 15 minutes
Total Prep Time: 20 minutes
Special Equipment: Electric Hand Mixer
- 2 eggs
- 2 slices of toast
- Chopped bacon or bacon bits (Optional)
- Salt and pepper (Optional)
1. Preheat oven to 450°F.
2. Grease 2 small cups with butter or margarine.
3. Toast and generously butter 2 slices of bread, then arrange on a baking sheet.
4. Crack the eggs into a medium sized bowl, carefully separating each yolk into its own greased cup. (Add optional salt and pepper to the egg white at this point)
5. Using an electric mixer, beat the whites on high speed until they form stiff peaks (Takes about 5 - 10 minutes).
6. Spoon the whites evenly onto the toast, leaving a well in the middle for the yolk.
7. Carefully slide one yolk into the well on each piece of toast.
8. Place the baking sheet in the oven and bake for 5 minutes.
9. Sprinkle with chopped bacon or bacon bits (or really any sort of topping you desire – get creative!) and serve hot.