Is there anything more delicious than meat which has been stuffed with more meat? Of course not, don't be silly. With that simple philosophy in mind, I set out to find a stuffed chicken recipe that would be sure to blow my mind. Well, I found one. Just imagine the makings of a jalapeno popper stuffed inside a chicken breast - jalapenos, cream cheese, cheddar, green onions, and ground sausage, all wrapped inside. It tastes just as great as it looks and sounds, so get ready for one spicy dinner!
On a side note, I’ve begun working a new job, and next week I’ll be starting classes at Le Cordon Bleu to earn my culinary arts diploma. As exciting as all of this is for me, it means I probably won’t have the time to update the blog quite as often anymore. But don’t despair, I’ll still be making updates as often as possible!
Recipe Adapted from Skinny Taste
Difficulty: Relatively Easy
Active Prep Time: 10 minutes
Total Prep Time: 40 minutes
Special Equipment: Food Processor
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cooked sausage, crumbled (use food processor for this)
- 3 tablespoons diced jalapeño
- 3 - 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- About 1 cup shredded cheddar (I used a spicy buffalo cheddar)
- 2 tablespoons chopped green onion
- 1 cup Panko (Japanese bread crumbs, seasoned with salt and pepper)
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Salt and fresh pepper to taste
- Non-stick spray
1. Preheat the oven to 450ºF and coat a baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
2. In a medium bowl, mix together the cream cheese, grated cheddar, green onion, jalapeño, and crumbled sausage. Set aside.
3. Rise and dry the chicken breasts. One at a time, lay them between 2 sheets of wax paper and pound with a meat mallet or rolling pin.
4. Lay the newly flattened chicken out on a working surface. Spread 2 – 3 tablespoons of cream cheese mixture on top.
5. Carefully roll the chicken breasts, securing them with toothpicks so they won’t come apart in the oven.
6. Place the seasoned Panko in a shallow bowl or plate. In a separate bowl, mix the melted butter with olive oil.
7. Dip chicken in the butter and oil mixture, then in the bread crumbs. Place seam side down on a baking dish.
8. Bake for 25 – 30 minutes. Cool for 5 minutes, then serve.