Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Mixed Berry Upside Down Cake

IMG_20120703_173031

Having exhausted a large portion of my chocolate stores making the Hot Cocoa Cookies last weekend, I decided that the next dessert I bake ought to be something that doesn’t use any. I spent the better part of my day just figuring out what the hell I felt like making. I wanted something interesting, but simple and light as well. I had almost given up searching, nearly resigning myself to just making another cinnamon pull apart bread, when I came across a recipe for upside down cake. It was love at first sight.

Having never made (or even eaten) an upside down cake before, I really did not know what to expect going into this one. It came out with a texture somewhere between bread pudding and cake and, frankly, I’m not sure if that’s how it’s supposed to be. One thing I am sure of however, is that it tastes quite good.

Recipe adapted from Recipe Tips

Difficulty: Easy
Active Prep Time: About 30 minutes
Total Prep Time: About 1½ hours
Special Equipment: Electric Hand Mixer (Optional)
Serves: 6 – 8

Ingredients:

  • 8 tablespoons butter
  • 1/3 cup brown sugar
  • 2 ripe peaches or nectarines
  • 3 - 4 strawberries
  • 1 cup mixed berries: blueberries, raspberries, blackberries
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 1 egg
  • 1 cup flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder

IMG_20120703_153645

Instructions:

1. Preheat the oven to 350° F.

2. Slice up the strawberries and peaches. Set aside. (Peaches may be peeled or unpeeled)

3. Melt 3 tablespoons butter and stir in 1/3 cup brown sugar. Pour into a 9 inch pie dish.

4. Start by arranging the slices of strawberry in the dish.

IMG_20120703_154958

5. Arrange the peach slices on top of the strawberries.

IMG_20120703_155313

6. Strew raspberries, blackberries, and blueberries on top of the peach slices. Set aside.

IMG_20120703_160145

7. Move onto the cake batter (You can use an electric hand mixer for steps 7 – 9). Melt the remaining 5 tablespoons of butter and mix it with ½ cup of white sugar until smooth.

8. Mix in egg, milk, and vanilla.

9. In a separate bowl, mix together flour, salt, and baking powder. Pour into the batter and mix until smooth.

IMG_20120703_161944

10. Pour batter over the fruit and bake and bake until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, about 35 minutes.

11. Cool on a rack for about 10 minutes. Run a knife around the edge to free it, then, while the cake is still warm and before the fruit has started to firm up, put a serving plate (must be larger than the baking dish) on top of the baking dish and turn both upside down. Needs no frosting.

IMG_20120703_171054IMG_20120703_200714IMG_20120703_200726

Additional Notes:

As I mentioned, the texture of the cake was more like pudding and less like actual cake. I’d suggest using less fruit if you want a firmer cake, as my fruit to batter ratio was a bit higher than the recipe actually called for.

No comments:

Post a Comment