As an aspiring chef or baker or whatever I am, I end up making a lot of desserts. And why not? Dessert is as tasty as it is popular, and there are so many to choose from! This time I was in the mood for cookies, since I had yet to post any cookies here in Screw Your Diet. Not just any cookies, though. These cookies are like a cup of rich hot chocolate topped with marshmallows, and they will blow your mind.
Recipe adapted from Pip & Ebby
Active Prep Time: About 30 minutes
Total Prep Time: About 2 hours
Special Equipment: Electric Hand Mixer
- 1 stick (4 ounces) unsalted butter
- About 22 ounces semisweet chocolate
- 15 - 20 large marshmallows
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 cups light brown sugar
- 3 eggs, at room temperature
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1. In a medium saucepan, melt together butter and 12 ounces of semisweet chocolate (chopped)
2. Stir frequently over medium heat until the mixture is smooth. Let cool for 10 – 15 minutes.
3. In a small sized bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
4. In a separate, medium sized bowl, mix brown sugar, eggs, and vanilla extract using an electric hand mixer. Beat on low speed until smooth, about 2 minutes.
5. Pour in the cooled chocolate mixture and mix until just blended.
6. Add the flour mixture in 2 batches, mixing on low speed until just combined. Refrigerate the dough for at least 1 hour.
7. Preheat the oven to 325º F and line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper.
8. Using a tablespoon, scoop the dough and roll between your palms to form 1-inch balls. Arrange about 16 balls 2 inches apart on each cookie sheet, flattening slightly.
9. Bake until the tops of the cookies crack, about 12 minutes.
10. While they bake, cut about 8 ounces of semisweet chocolate (bars) into 1-inch squares. Snip marshmallows in half and stick 1 square of chocolate onto the cut side of each one.
11. When the 12 minutes are up, remove the cookie sheets from the oven and gently press a marshmallow half, chocolate side down, into each cookie. Bake until the marshmallows are just softened, about 4 minutes.
12. Transfer the pans to racks to cool for 5 minutes.
13. Grate the remaining 2 ounces of semisweet chocolate over the hot cookies. Using a spatula, transfer the cookies to the racks and let cool.
- Store these in an airtight container, but do not freeze.
- Cookies are best served warm, so if you’re not serving them fresh from the oven, be sure to warm them up again first.