Monday, September 3, 2012

Homemade Pickles


As someone who grew up in a Jewish family, the 83% of my blood that should be water is actually pickle juice. I've loved pickles since I was very young, and a jar of them never lasts very long in my presence. Ever since I discovered my love of cooking, I've wanted to make my own pickles, but could never find a good time to start them.

I was finally inspired to make my own pickles by a very dear friend of mine named Jessie, from whom I also acquired this recipe. If you like your pickles crunchy, tart, and garlicy, this is the recipe for you!



Difficulty: Easy
Active Prep Time: About 10 minutes
Total Prep Time: 1 - 2 weeks
Special Equipment: Large Jars
Makes: 32 pickle spears

Ingredients:

  • 8 pickling cucumbers
  • 6 - 8 cloves garlic
  • Approx. 2 cups apple cider vinegar
  • Pickling spices (I used a blend of black and white peppercorns, dill, rosemary, cloves, cardamom, coriander seed, and bay leaf)
  • 2 teaspoons salt
  • 1/4 sugar (Optional. Use only if you prefer your pickles a little bit sweeter) 


Instructions:

1. In a large sauce pan, set the apple cider vinegar over a medium heat. Add salt and allow to simmer.

2. While the vinegar simmers, add the spices to a large jar, and slice your cucumbers into spears.


3. Pack the spears into the jar as tightly as possible, adding a clove of garlic for every 4 or 5 spears.


4. Once the vinegar has reaches a low boil and has had time to simmer for about 5 minutes, pour it into the jar and seal it hot.


5. When the jar cools, place it in the refrigerator for at least 1 week. At this point, you should taste one, and if you feel it needs more flavor, simply leave it for another day or two and take another taste test.



No comments:

Post a Comment